The “Walk of Fame Plaza” is badminton’s official national site preserving and honoring badminton’s elite athletes, service, coaches, and court officials. The site opened April 25, 2003, and is located in front of the Orange County Badminton Club, 1432 N. Main St., in Orange, California. The Plaza’s dedication monument was installed August 2006. USA Badminton member Herman Pun designed the beautiful logo in 2002.
Elections and induction ceremonies are held every two years. Athletes become eligible eight years after retiring from competition. Service, Coaching and Court Official candidates are eligible after reaching 55 years of age. Each inductee receives a 12 X12 inch black granite tile placed in the Plaza engraved with name, year of induction and category of excellence.
USA Badminton originally established a “Hall of Fame” and announced its first induction class in 1956. The Hall was active through 1998. In 2003, a new concept and physical site was developed and named USA Badminton’s “Walk of Fame.” The former list of “Hall of Fame” inductees was automatically added to the current “Walk of Fame” list. By merging these two lists and constructing the “Plaza,” USA Badminton has linked the past to the future.