Coach Application for 2023 Pan American Cup Team
Pan American Cup Team Championships (the Sudirman Cup qualifying event)
Applications are DUE January 6, 2023 at 12PM (NOON) EST. Click for the application form.
Prospectus – Click here.
USAB is accepting Applications for Head Coach – Pan American Cup / Sudirman Cup with the goal of preparing the Team and individual athletes for success on the field of play: including setting the line-ups for each tie and arranging training & court practice.
The Head Coach position is a voluntary position funded by USAB for travel & hotel. However, in the event that funding falls short, reimbursement of expenses will be reduced at USAB’s sole discretion. USAB intends to name one Head Coach for the ten player team. This coach will also be named the Sudirman Cup Coach if USA qualifies to participate in the Sudirman Cup Finals. We reserve the right to adjust/change the number and assignment of coach(es) selected.
Venue: Guadalajara, Mexico
Events: Team. The Team will consist of ten (10) U.S. players, five (5) women & five (5) men selected from the 2022 US National Championships.
Date: February 16-19, 2023 (Team Manager is expected to arrive 24 hours prior to the Championships)
The Team Manager for this event is Esther Lin. Esther’s duties are to serve as the primary point of contact and liaison between the athletes, coaches and USAB before and during the Pan American Cup and to be the primary contact to coordinate and communicate with the host/organizers onsite on behalf of the USAB Team.
Who Can Apply to be Coach?
Applicants must have, by the start of the tournament, the following criteria:
- Meet COVID/visa protocols if required by host country
- Be a current USAB member in good standing
- Have a current green light background check on file
- Have completed Safe Sport Training
- Have a current season USAB Coach Pass
- Possess a valid passport that does not expire until at least six months after the conclusion of the Pan American Cup
- Have the ability to work effectively with the USAB.
- Be responsible for Team’s adherence to all rules regarding discipline at the Pan American Cup
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the IF rules and regulations governing the sport as necessary for the position.
- Demonstrate ability to establish harmonious relationships with athletes and other Team personnel.
- Be in good health and able to withstand the physical rigors of traveling with and working with the Team.
- Take an anti-doping course/workshop as required by the tournament organizers or USA Badminton.
In addition, Coaches must:
- Possess a high level of specific technical and tactical knowledge of the sport.
- Have the ability to manage large groups of athletes
- Have the ability to manage Conflicts of Interest
- Be able to deal with emotionally charged situations with integrity and in a professional manner
USAB prefers that Coaches:
- Be the personal coach as designated by at least one athlete/doubles pair who is named to the 2023 Pan American Cup Team.
The High Performance Advisory Group will review the identified pool of candidates for the Head Coach position and evaluate individuals based on the requirements above, as well as the criteria below. The HPAG will rank up to five (5) candidates for the Head Coach position. The Coach will be selected based on the following factors, which are listed in no particular order:
- Be a current personal coach of an athlete nominated to the 2023 U.S. Pan American Cup Team but able to manage conflicts of interest this may create
- Experience working with elite athletes
- Experience coaching at BWF international individual or team competitions.
- Standing of competing athlete(s) of personal coaches based on ranking and past results, including the 2022 U.S. National Championships
- Ability to work with multiple athletes
- History of traveling internationally with athlete(s)
- Proven ability to work in collaboration with USAB and other team staff
USA Badminton High Performance Advisory Group (HPAG) consists of USAB:
- Coaching Director, Board of Directors
- Director, Para-Badminton
- Para-Badminton Athlete Representative
- AAC Representative