Coach Applications for 2023 PAJC, WJC, WUG
USA Badminton is now accepting applications (due May 12, 2023 at 5:59 pm Pacific Time) for Head Coach and Assistant Coach positions for the following events:
2023 Pan Am Junior Championships (Lima, Peru): July 13 – 21, 2023
2023 World Junior Championships (Spokane, WA, USA): September 25 – October 8, 2023
World University Games (Chengdu, China): July 27 – August 8, 2023
Application Link: https://form.jotform.com/230719065172050
Who Can Apply
This application is open to all USAB coaches who have completed the BWF online course and who are in good standing with USAB.
Applicants must be a USAB member, must be compliant with SafeSport education and must be current members of USAB in good standing and have an active (current green light) background check on file by the start of the tournament. They should also possess a valid passport that does not expire until at least six months after the conclusion of the tournament.
Selected coach(es) will need to apply for the 2023-2024 USAB Coaching Pass once the application is opened.
- Have the ability to work effectively with the USAB.
- Be responsible for Team’s adherence to all rules regarding discipline at the Pan American Cup
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the IF rules and regulations governing the sport as necessary for the position.
- Demonstrate ability to establish harmonious relationships with athletes and other Team personnel.
- Be in good health and able to withstand the physical rigors of traveling with and working with the Team.
- Take an anti-doping course/workshop as required by the tournament organizers or USA Badminton.
In addition, Coaches must:
- Possess a high level of specific technical and tactical knowledge of the sport.
- Have the ability to manage large groups of athletes
- Have the ability to manage Conflicts of Interest
- Be able to deal with emotionally charged situations with integrity and in a professional manner
• The Head Coach is responsible for choosing the team for each tie in the team competition, providing game strategies and techniques to allow the athletes to reach their highest level of competition. The Head Coach motivates the athletes and helps athletes develop sportsmanship, game appreciation and self-esteem.
• Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in any way possible. Assistant Coach is also tasked to provide any feedback to the Head Coach that may support the athletes in competition.
• This is a volunteer position with long and unpredictable hours.
• USAB will fund travel, hotel, and food for PAJC and WJC. However, in an event that funding falls short, reimbursement of expenses will be reduced at USAB’s sole discretion.
• Once the coaching position is assigned and the applicant has accepted, the applicant’s failure to fulfill his/her responsibility will impact his/her future assignments.
• All applicants are expected to be able to use communication technology.
• Two weeks after the end of the tournament, the Head Coach and Assistant Coach(es) (if any) will work together and should provide a detailed report to submit to USAB.
• Each assigned coaching staff member should remain independent regardless of his/her affiliation of current or past club, player or business and manage ‘Conflict of Interest’ situations at the competition.
The High Performance Advisory Group will review the identified pool of candidates and evaluate individuals based on the requirements above, as well as the criteria below. The HPAG will rank up to five (5) candidates for the Head Coach position. The Coach will be selected based on the following factors, which are listed in no particular order:
- Be a current personal coach of an athlete nominated to the tournament indicated but able to manage conflicts of interest this may create
- Experience working with elite athletes
- Experience coaching at BWF international individual or team competitions.
- Standing of competing athlete(s) of personal coaches based on ranking and past results, including the 2023 Selection Event and 2022 Collegiate Nationals
- Ability to work with multiple athletes
- History of traveling internationally with athlete(s)
- Proven ability to work in collaboration with USAB and other team staff
USA Badminton High Performance Advisory Group (HPAG) consists of USAB:
- Coaching Director, Board of Directors
- Director, Para-Badminton
- Para-Badminton Athlete Representative
- AAC Representative
Note that a requirement of the 2023 Pan American Games Staff Selection Procedures for Coach is to have a history of volunteering for coach positions this quad (after Tokyo Olympic Games) or have been selected to coach at the 2023 World Junior Championships.
See here for the 2023 Pan American Games Staff Selection Procedures. The application for this position is not yet open.