Coach Application for 2024 Pan Am M&F Cup
Pan Am M&F Cup Team Championships (the Uber Cup & Thomas Cup qualifying event)
Applications are DUE Friday, January 5, 2024, 11:59 pm (one minute before midnight, Pacific Time). Click for the application form.
Prospectus not yet available.
USAB is accepting applications for two Head Coaches (one for Uber Cup and one for Thomas Cup), and one Assistant Coach for both Uber Cup & Thomas Cup, with the goal of preparing the Teams and individual athletes for success on the field of play: including setting the line-ups for each tie, and arranging training & court practice if needed.
The Coach positions are voluntary positions funded by USAB for travel & hotel. However, in the event that funding falls short, reimbursement of expenses will be reduced at USAB’s sole discretion. USAB intends to name a Head Coach for each team and an Assistant Coach for both teams. Each coach is expected to also assist with the other team, depending on scheduling. USAB reserves the right to adjust/change the number and assignment of coaches selected.
2024 Pan Am M&F Cup
Location: Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
Dates: February 15 – 18, 2024 (Coaches and Team Manager are expected to arrive 24 hours prior to the Championships)
Official practice begins on February 14th.
TotalEnergies BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2024
Location: Chengdu, China
Dates: April 28 – May 5, 2024
Women’s Team (ten U.S. players) & Men’s Team (ten U.S. players)
Who Can Apply to be Coach?
Applicants must have, by the start of the tournament, the following criteria:
- Meet COVID/visa protocols if required by host country
- Be a current USAB member in good standing
- Have a current green light background check on file
- Have completed Safe Sport Training
- Have a current season USAB Coach Pass
- Possess a valid passport that does not expire until at least six months after the conclusion of the Pan American Cup
- Have the ability to work effectively with the USAB.
- Be responsible for Team’s adherence to all rules regarding discipline at the Pan American Cup
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the IF rules and regulations governing the sport as necessary for the position.
- Demonstrate ability to establish harmonious relationships with athletes and other Team personnel.
- Be in good health and able to withstand the physical rigors of traveling with and working with the Team.
- Take an anti-doping course/workshop as required by the tournament organizers or USA Badminton.
In addition, Coaches must:
- Possess a high level of specific technical and tactical knowledge of the sport.
- Have the ability to manage large groups of athletes
- Have the ability to manage Conflicts of Interest
- Be able to deal with emotionally charged situations with integrity and in a professional manner
The High Performance Advisory Group will review the identified pool of candidates for the Head Coach positions and Assistant Coach position and evaluate individuals based on the requirements above, as well as the criteria below. The HPAG will rank up to five (5) candidates for each Head Coach position and Assistant Coach position. The Coach will be selected based on the following factors, which are listed in no particular order:
- Be a current personal coach of an athlete nominated to the 2024 U.S. Pan Am M&F Cup Team but able to manage conflicts of interest this may create
- Experience working with elite athletes
- Experience coaching at BWF international individual or team competitions.
- Standing of competing athlete(s) of personal coaches based on ranking and past results, including the 2023 U.S. National Championships
- Ability to work with multiple athletes
- History of traveling internationally with athlete(s)
- Proven ability to work in collaboration with USAB and other team staff
USA Badminton High Performance Advisory Group (HPAG) consists of USAB:
- Coaching Director, Board of Directors
- Director, Para-Badminton
- Athlete Representative
- Team USA AC Representative