Coaches/Assistant Manager Application for 2022 World University Games Team
World University Games
Applications are DUE April 29, 2022 at 5:00pm PDT. Click for the application form.
Accepting Applications for Coach(es) and Assistant Manager(s) with the goal of preparing the Teams and individual athletes for success on the field of play: including the coaches/managers setting the line-ups for each tie and the manager(s) arranging training & court practice.
The Coach(es)/Assistant Manager positions are voluntary self-funded positions. USAB intends to name a Head Coach and an Assistant Coach. We reserve the right to adjust/change the number and assignment of Coaches/Assistant Managers selected.
Venue: Chengdu, China
Events: Team & Individual
Date: June 26 – July 7, 2022 (Team Manager will arrive with the players)
The Team Manager for this event is Yuko Kawasaki. Ms. Kawasaki’s duties are to serve as the primary point of contact and liaison between the athletes, coaches and USAB before and during the World University Games and to be the primary contact to coordinate and communicate with the host/organizers onsite on behalf of the USAB Team.
Who Can Apply to be Coach(es)/ Assistant Manager(s)?
- Meet COVID protocols
- Be a current USAB member in good standing
- Have a current green light background check on file through the event dates
- Have completed Safe Sport Training
- Have a current USAB Coach Pass and will apply for the 2022/2023 season
- Possess a valid passport that does not expire until at least six months after the conclusion of the World University Games
- Have the ability to work effectively with the USAB
- Be responsible for Team’s adherence to all rules regarding discipline at the WUG
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the IF rules and regulations governing the sport as necessary for the position.
- Demonstrate ability to establish harmonious relationships with athletes and other Team personnel.
- Be in good health and able to withstand the physical rigors of traveling with and working with the Team.
In addition, Coaches/Assistant Managers must:
- Possess a high level of specific technical and tactical knowledge of the sport.
- Have the ability to manage large groups of athletes
- Have the ability to manage Conflicts of Interest
- Be able to deal with emotionally charged situations with integrity and in a professional manner
USAB prefers that Coaches:
- Be the personal coach as designated by at least one athlete/doubles pair who is named to the 2022 World University Games team
The High Performance Advisory Group will review the identified pool of candidates for each position and evaluate individuals based on the requirements above, as well as the criteria below. The HPAG will rank up to five (5) candidates for each Coach/Assistant Manager position. Coaches/Assistant Managers will be selected based on the following factors, which are listed in no particular order:
- Be a current personal coach of an athlete nominated to the 2022 U.S. WUG Team but able to manage conflict of interest this may create
- Experience working with elite athletes
- Experience coaching at BWF international individual or team competitions.
- Standing of competing athlete(s) of personal coaches based on ranking and past results, including the 2021 U.S. National Championships & WUG Selection Event
- Ability to work with multiple athletes
- History of traveling internationally with athlete(s)
- Proven ability to work in collaboration with USAB and other team staff
USA Badminton High Performance Advisory Group (HPAG) consists of USAB:
- Coaching Director, Board of Directors
- Director, Para-Badminton
- Para-Badminton Athlete Representative
- AAC Representative