Election Open for One Elite Athlete on USAB Board of Directors
Pursuant to Newly Adopted Bylaws, Eligible Elite Athletes Will Elect One Representative to Serve on the USAB Board of Directors as Athletes
Eligible Elite Athletes Are Encouraged to Submit Their Request to Run Starting Today
(Colorado Springs, CO) – USA Badminton (“USAB”) is pleased to announce an election to select one eligible Elite Ten Year Athlete to serve on the USAB Board of Directors, as well as on the Athletes’ Representative Council for USAB.
Eligible Elite Athletes are encouraged to submit a request to be placed on the ballot(s) for the Elite Athlete elections starting immediately. The deadline to submit a request to be placed on the ballot for the Elite Athlete election is January 21, 2024 (One Minute Before Noon) US Pacific Time. Interested candidates should send an email notification of their intent to run and a request to be vetted for inclusion on the ballot to ContactUs@usabadminton.org.
Elite Athlete Directors. Elite Athletes are defined as those individuals: who have ever represented the United States in badminton as athletes in the Olympic or Paralympic Games, the Pan American Games, Para Pan American Games and/or the World or Para World Championships. An Elite Ten Year Athlete is one who represented the United States in one or more of these competitions within the previous ten years (on or after January 1, 2013.) An Elite Ten Year+ Athlete is one who represented the United States in one or more of these competitions at any time.
Only Elite Ten Year Athletes shall be eligible to vote in the election. Only Elite Ten Year Athletes are eligible to run in this election to the USAB Board of Directors.
Interested and qualified athletes (see USAB bylaws Section 7.6, or see qualification requirements above) should submit their nomination statement of not more than 200 words to ContactUs@usabadminton.org by January 21, 2024 at 11:59 am (One Minute Before Noon) U.S. Pacific Time. Interested persons should submit the following:
- A brief cover letter summarizing qualifications, motivation, and willingness to serve
- Current resume/CV with professional, athletic, and governance qualifications.
It is important to note that all candidates running in the elections for these Elite Athlete positions must disclose in advance of the election any prior felony conviction(s) or any periods of ineligibility served in sport for any reason, including disciplinary decisions and/or SafeSport violations.
The elected Elite Athletes will serve a four year term on the USAB Board of Directors through December 31, 2027 and will also serve on the USAB Athletes’ Representative Council (the internal badminton Athletes Advisory Council) for the same period.
It is important to note that the responsibilities of Athlete Representatives may include but are not limited to the following:
- Be familiar with your NGB’s bylaws, the USOPC bylaws, the AAC bylaws, the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sport Act, and various other policies affecting athletes’ rights
- Understand the athlete pool you represent and work to engage the athletes represented
- Actively attend USAB/ARC meetings and relay information to the identified athlete pool
- Proactively reach out to your constituents enabling athletes to freely comment on policies/procedures
- Consistently communicate with your NGB CEO/ED and other key stakeholders on matters impacting athletes
- Synthesize athletes’ feedback on policies and procedures and provide input to the relevant party
- Provide an avenue for athletes to voice their concerns
- Review, gather and provide athlete input for selection of International, Olympic, Paralympic and Pan Am Games Teams
- Some travel will be required
Persons interested in determining whether you qualify to run and/or vote in these Athlete elections as a 10-Year Athlete can request a determination by directly contacting USAB at ContactUs@usabadminton.org.
December 31, 2023 – Request for Nominations and nominating Instructions posted online
January 21, 2024 – Nominations Close
January 23, 2024 – Ballots sent out
February 2, 2024 11:59 pm (One Minute Before Midnight) PT – Voting Closes
February 7, 2024 – Election results Announce