Reopening Coach Application for 2022 Pan Am Cup Team
Pan Am Cup Team Championships (the Uber Cup & Thomas Cup qualifying event)
Applications are DUE January 27, 2022 at 12PM EST. Click for the application form.
Accepting Applications for Head Coach – Uber Cup & Head Coach – Thomas Cup with the goal of preparing the Teams and individual athletes for success on the field of play: including setting the line-ups for each tie and arranging training & court practice.
The Coach positions are voluntary positions funded by USAB for travel & hotel. However, in the event that funding falls short, reimbursement of expenses will be reduced at USAB’s sole discretion. USAB intends to name a Head Coach for each team, each coach is expected to also assist with the other team, depending on scheduling. We reserve the right to adjust/change the number and assignment of coaches selected.
Venue: Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico
Events: Women’s Team (eight U.S. players) & Men’s Team (eight U.S. players)
Date: February 17-20, 2022 (Team Manager is expected to arrive 24 hours prior to the Championships)
The Team Manager for this event is Yuko Kawasaki. Ms. Kawasaki’s duties are to serve as the primary point of contact and liaison between the athletes, coaches and USAB before and during the Pan Am Cup and to be the primary contact to coordinate and communicate with the host/organizers onsite on behalf of the USAB Team.
Who Can Apply to be Coach?
Applicants must have, by the start of the tournament, the following criteria:
- Meet COVID protocols
- Be a current USAB member in good standing
- Have a current green light background check on file
- Have completed Safe Sport Training
- Have a current season USAB Coach Pass
- Possess a valid passport that does not expire until at least six months after the conclusion of the Pan Am Cup
- Have the ability to work effectively with the USAB.
- Be responsible for Team’s adherence to all rules regarding discipline at the Pan Am Cup
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of the IF rules and regulations governing the sport as necessary for the position.
- Demonstrate ability to establish harmonious relationships with athletes and other Team personnel.
- Be in good health and able to withstand the physical rigors of traveling with and working with the Team.
In addition, Coaches must:
- Possess a high level of specific technical and tactical knowledge of the sport.
- Have the ability to manage large groups of athletes
- Have the ability to manage Conflicts of Interest
- Be able to deal with emotionally charged situations with integrity and in a professional manner
USAB prefers that Coaches:
- Be the personal coach as designated by at least one athlete/doubles pair who is named to the 2022 Pan Am Cup Team or a currently employed staff member at USAB
The High Performance Advisory Group will review the identified pool of candidates for each position and evaluate individuals based on the requirements above, as well as the criteria below. The HPAG will rank up to five (5) candidates for each Coach position. Coaches will be selected based on the following factors, which are listed in no particular order:
- Be a current personal coach of an athlete nominated to the 2022 U.S. Pan Am Cup Team but able to manage conflict of interest this may create
- Experience working with elite athletes
- Experience coaching at BWF international individual or team competitions.
- Standing of competing athlete(s) of personal coaches based on ranking and past results, including the 2021 U.S. National Championships
- Ability to work with multiple athletes
- History of traveling internationally with athlete(s)
- Proven ability to work in collaboration with USAB and other team staff
USA Badminton High Performance Advisory Group (HPAG) consists of USAB:
- Coaching Director, Board of Directors
- Director, Para-Badminton
- Para-Badminton Athlete Representative
- AAC Representative